Thursday, July 10, 2008

Daddies




Lately, it seems, I've been reading and hearing a lot about men growing up with hard daddies. Making them fight when they are four, never seeing them hug their mamas, drunks, drunks, and more drunks. Aside from some personal disclosures, the worst by far is Augusten Burrough's " A Wolf at the Table" which I could not bear to read past the second chapter and the best is Rick Bragg's "Prince of Frogtown" Oh, how these tough men love their horrible fathers. All that harshness makes a hard, hard crust that gets bigger the more you heap on it, so much trying to crush the small part of a boy that is soft and tender. Fathers must do this thinking to prepare them for life that is full of casual cruelness. Or maybe because if they treat them with any tenderness, that means their daddies were monsters, and they cannot bear to believe that.

I know this a superficial frivolous fashion blog and I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. So, to cheer you and me up, here is the outfit I want to photographed in if I am ever in a magazine, swear to god. From Viktor and Rolf's fall 2005 collection, this outrageous dress combines my favorite things: high fashion, sleeping and making a big old scene